Chủ Nhật, 22 tháng 8, 2010

Absolutely Stunning Bathroom Transformation!

I completed this bathroom renovation last January for my client and shared it here on DesignTies, too. It’s so great through that I thought I’d share it again… I think you’ll love it too!

Want to see some BEFORE and AFTERS?!

Before, the bathroom was a reflection of all that was bad in the 80s – almond-coloured tub and toilet, flesh-coloured walls and tiles (both floor & tub surround), pork-chop counter and an ugly light fixture!

DSCF0122 DSC02570

The functionality of the room was hampered by a pocket door leading to the master bedroom (below: centre) and a linen closet (opening to an adjacent hallway) that ate up space in the corner (below: left).

DSCF0123DSCF0124DSCF0133

If you really must see the ugliness up a little closer, the photos above get larger when clicked on.

So… after a complete tear-out, 2 weeks of mayhem that resulted in a not-even-close-to-finished bathroom and the firing of a contractor, 1 more week of hard labour… mine, my husband’s and my brother’s (knights in shining armour out to save the day! More like “knight”mare experiences!! Geesh!), and another month to finish up the little nit-pickley elements of a project like this… and we have…

The After!

DSCF0301Note 1: The mirror is temporary – the homeowner will source out something she likes. I’ve recommended she look for something oval, narrower and taller then the one in the photo above, and with either a mirrored frame (i.e., mirror on mirror) OR with a simple chrome frame. Note 2: The print looks high on the wall but it isn’t, because: a) the temporary mirror is too-small so the line is off visually; b) the print it’s hanging the same height as the two on the opposite wall (reflected in the mirror); AND c) because the homeowner will be installing a glass shelf above the toilet where she’ll have taller items that will fill the negative space.

A closer look at the tub, tiles and beautiful chrome fixtures…

DSCF0303

DSCF0304

All faucet & fixtures are Riobel’s Eiffel Collection. The mosaic tiles are a glass (3 kinds of glass), marble and stainless steel combination and they’re flanked, in the bath tub area only, by a sea green glass listello. Opting to ignore symmetry, I set the mosaics in two strips on one side of the tub only. The white subway tiles have a matte finish, are 16”x4” and are set in line with one another rather then off-set for a contemporary look. I did all the tiling in this room.

The vanity I designed and had custom built includes a linen tower that replaces the closet we removed – believe it or not, it provides pretty much the same amount of storage as the original closet while taking up so much less physical space in the bathroom itself! It’s been made in maple with a dark wenge stain and it’s trimmed out in stainless steel. The counter is a lovely pure white quartz. Patti’s lighting is so much better! She now has recessed lights (in the tub, too) and beautiful glass & crystal pendants that are set on a dimmer for some sexy mood!! The door to the bathroom is new, too… a simple shaker-style with a glass inset and painted in black. All of Patti’s interior doors will be changed to this style.

DSCF0308

So that’s it!

My work in this space is complete… the homeowner will take it from here. I’ve put my heart into building this beautiful, glamorous and spa-like bathroom. I’ve planned and designed, shopped and problem solved. I’ve tiled, painted, stressed and cried. I’m so very proud of my very first client bathroom, but I find myself wondering if I have what it takes to try this kind of project again. I learned so much. About designing, project management, client management… and about myself.

Now it’s time to reflect on what I’ve learned.

Butterfly This project is being shared with Between Naps on the Porch readers for Susan’s weekly blog party Metamorphosis Monday’s. Be sure to head back to BNotP and check out the other transformations being shared today!

sigv

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét