Thứ Bảy, 26 tháng 6, 2010

Mirror Mirror: Keeping it Simple

Dining RoomI had so much fun staging Bonnie’s condo… and the results were, without doubt, terrific! Forgive me for tooting my own horn ;-)
When I first assessed the dining room I knew that the perfect addition would be a large mirror – not only would it fill a long wall, it would reflect the fantastic south-facing view from this 21st floor condo when people walked into the Mirrorroom (photographer didn’t take this photo from eye-level).
I sourced out the ideal mirror from Ikea – the wood was a good match to Bonnie’s dining set, and it had a clean contemporary line that worked really well with their overall style.
After the job though, the mirror came home with me to be stored in the attic. What an unhappy place to be!
Then Thursday my daughter Ashley told me that her friend Nicci was in desperate need of a full length mirror. She said that when ever they’re getting ready to go out clubbing, she and Nicci can’t fully check out their beautiful selves to ensure that they’re ultimately gorgeous! HaHa!! So as you can see, “desperate need” is an excellent assessment of the situation! :-)
As soon as I learned that Nicci needed a mirror I thought of the one in our attic. But while it was perfect for Bonnie’s dining room, it wasn’t ideal for Nicci’s place. We only had the evening to fix it up… so what could we do?
DSCF0718Paint!
Ashley chose the colour (a sage/olivey green, the accent colour in Nicci’s apartment) and I set to work.
DSCF0717I started by lightly sanding the frame…
Next came the painter’s tape… and then… the paint brush!
DSCF0721
Of course we can’t complete ANY project around our home without our supervisor, Scotty!!
DSCF0722
As I was painting I found myself thinking that something was missing. Sure I was taking a simple wood frame and giving it some simple colour, but how could I add something special when I only had an hour?!
Out came the painter’s tape again… a stripe was needed around the frame!
DSCF0726
A simple detail for a simple frame, but it really jazzed things up!!
DSCF0727
DSCF0725Now I was worried about how Nicci was going to clean her mirror without removing the painted stripe… so the next morning, before Ashley and her Dad took the mirror over to DSCF0724Nicci’s place, I pulled out some clear faux-stain glass stuff and I sealed the stripe. At least I hope I did!! HaHa!!
The results are great. Clean, simple lines yet a fresh look for a young woman’s apartment.
DSCF0729
I was told that Brian would be helping the girls hang the mirror, and that I’d be able to join them to take photos… but the girls were getting ready for a night on the town to celebrate Nicci’s birthday so they were in a hurry so told us “another time!”.
But Ashley took a few photos of the mirror in it’s new home… not quite how I’d showcase the final results, but it’ll do! Besides… you get to see my beautiful girls, too!! :-)
DSCF0730
DSCF0731
Nicci tells us she loves her new mirror!
And you KNOW those lovely girls will be posing in front of this mirror on their way out the door to celebrate… a perfect mirror transformation for 2 perfectly beautiful images!
DSCF0732
Happy Birthday Chickie!!
Butterfly It’s that time again… time for Metamorphosis Monday! Thanks to our host Susan from Between Naps on the Porch for 76 weeks of blog-party fun!! Be sure to make check out the transformations shared by other party-participants… and thanks for dropping by DesignTies!
sigv

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét