Chủ Nhật, 9 tháng 5, 2010

The never-ending master bedroom makeover

If you’ve been following my home makeovers, you know that our house was almost entirely pink and green when we moved in. And not good green — it was icky plasticine green.plasticine man 2The bedroom was one of the green rooms. I took these pics at the inspection in June 2001. (This was before digital, so the quality isn’t great. I did a bit of retouching at picnik.com). But I think you can see the overall badness of the colour and the decorating!! Yes, those are dolls on the bed. There were dolls all over the house. Creepy.
green before 1 fix
That’s my grandma in the doorway, and you can see the pink hallway and pink guest bedroom (door on the left) and pink laundry room behind her. *Sigh* (I shared the guest bedroom makeover with you here. I’ll be sharing the laundry room makeover soon…)
green before 2 fix
Right after we took possession of the house in December 2001 and before we moved in, I painted the master bedroom. I had this great idea to paint it orange. The inspiration was the Leta Rachel room at My Mother’s Country Inn, the B&B in PEI that we stayed at on our honeymoon a few months earlier.
leta rachel
But it didn’t quite work out as planned…
IMG_3240
IMG_3251
IMG_3237
HAHAHAHAHH!!!! Holy crap, that’s bad!!!  Maybe it would look better with the bed in the corner…
bed1
Nope!!! Man, I can’t believe I’m showing you these pictures… I think I can safely say that my decorating skills have improved over the last 9 years!!
OK, so anyway, try to put that orange monstrosity out of your head, and let’s move ahead to around 2006 when I finally gave up on the orange and decided to go grey with a dark brown accent wall…
done2 IMG_3361
Better, but that bed totally wasn’t working. And the accent wall was kinda dark and overbearing. So I painted it a lighter grey than the other walls, and then gave up on that idea and painted it the same colour (Debbie Travis Manta Grey). Then I bought new furniture and bedding and a chandelier.
grey blue bedding
Still not working. More new bedding, lamps, and artwork… and a piece of brown velvet over the headboard to mock up what the soon-to-be new bed would look like. Better, but not there yet.
tan bedding
Hubby and I (well, mostly hubby) designed and built a chocolate brown upholstered bed complete with nailhead trim. And finally, the room was done!!
bed from entry bed 1
bed b side
bed in mirror
NOW we’re talkin’!! Much better!!
But… there was still something missing. Other than the curtains and a few cushions on the bed, there was no pattern. And the room was on the masculine side. I wanted to add some more feminine touches. What to do, what to do…
Well, my friend Lisa at Lisa Goulet Design solved that dilemma for me when she sent me a picture of her in-progress powder room makeover. She had used this beautiful wallpaper from Graham & Brown, Charming:
charming
Ooh-la-la!!! Love, love, LOVE IT!!! I picked up a sample at Home Depot — yes, Home Depot carries this beautiful paper. It was a perfect match to the other colours in the room. YAY!!! Well, OK, you can’t really tell in this picture, but trust me, it really does match!!
sample
I switched out the lamps with a pair of lamps I bought a couple of years ago for the still-to-be-completed dining room. I hit every store I could think of to look for new bedding, and finally found a subtly patterned grey duvet cover at HomeSense and euro shams at Bed Bath & Beyond. A few accessories on the night table, and now, finally, after 9 years, the master bedroom makeover is DONE!! Well, mostly done. I need to buy new blinds, a few accessories, maybe some new throw cushions, and a new chandelier. The other one went back to Home Depot after it started making popping noises. Yikes!! And the artwork that was above the bed needs a new home, because I want the wallpaper to be the focal point.
So here it is, the almost-finished bedroom makeover!!
bed 1 from br
Here’s a close-up of the paper:
paper close
His-and-hers night tables…
b lamp
my lamp 2
More hers, ‘cause it’s the prettier one :-)
my lamp
euros close 2
The colour in this shot is closer to the real colour of the wallpaper.
star wall
The cushions spend 99% of their time on the floor, so let’s give their moment of glory while they’re actually ON the bed :-)
cushions 1a
The Euro covers are Nicole Miller. Normally they’re $79.99 each — I found them on clearance for $14.99 each. Score!!
cushions close top of bed
This is a shot of the other side of the room:
other side
And here’s one of the original before shots with the new and improved colours and decorating…
green before 2 fix looking into hallway 5
The bedroom isn’t quite done, but the wallpaper really brings it close to the finish line :-) It needs some more accessories and artwork, I think. If you have any suggestions, I’d love to hear them :-)
Lisa recently finished her powder room makeover that inspired my latest bedroom makeover. You HAVE to go check it out — she did a fabulous job!!
And while you’re at it, you also have to check out all the great Met Monday makeovers at Between Naps on the Porch :-)
mirror shot
sig new

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét