This past weekend, I was at Kimberley Seldon’s Business of Design seminars. I had originally just signed up for Part 1, but after Friday’s seminar, I decided I really needed to take Part 2 and Part 3 too.
It was information overload, but in a good way. Kimberley taught us so much about running a successful design business — things that only someone who’s been there, done that can really teach.
Kimberley took a group of individuals with questions and insecurities, and turned us into a network of confident designers and decorators. Because if there’s one thing we all learned (well, actually, there are hundreds of things we learned!!), it’s that we each have lots to offer each other, and that we’ll all be more successful in our businesses if we work together.
These are just six of the great design business tips I learned from Kimberley Seldon…
1. Work to live, don’t live to work. The work day starts at 9:00AM and ends at 5:00PM. And no working on weekends or while on vacation!!
2. Be confident. Don’t downplay yourself or your abilities — you can do it!!
3. Charge what you’re worth. How much do you pay your hairdresser to blow dry your hair?? And how much do you charge to design someone’s house, with all the liabilities and responsibilities that come along with it?
4. Spread the word. People can’t find you if they don’t know you’re there. Think outside the box and come up with ways to let people know who you are, what you do, and where to find you.
5. Create a network of peers. Start a blog (if you don’t have one already), get a Facebook page, sign up for Twitter. Get together with other designers in your area once a month and pick a topic to discuss.
And the most important thing I learned from Kimberley…
6. SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE. If Kimberley is willing to share what she knows and has learned during her years in the business with other designers, surely you can too.
I highly recommend attending all three of Kimberley’s Business of Design seminars if you have the chance. It’s an investment in you and your business that you won’t regret.
0 nhận xét:
Đăng nhận xét